Reporting company car changes

There is a requirement to notify HMRC if you make any company cars available for private use by company directors or employees. The definition of ‘Private use’ includes employees’ journeys between home and work unless they are travelling to a temporary place of work.

HMRC’s guidance states that you need to send a P46 (Car) form to HMRC if you:

  • provide company cars to your employees
  • stop providing a company car
  • provide someone with an additional car

To send the form you can:

  • fill it in online and send a printed copy to the address on the form
  • use HMRC’s PAYE Online service for employers
  • use your payroll software

You will also need to report on your end-of-year forms and pay Class 1A National Insurance on the value of the car benefit. The company will be liable to pay Class 1A NICs in respect of the provision of a company car based on the car benefit charges. Employers currently pay Class 1A NICs at the rate of 13.8%. There will also be additional Class 1A NICs due where the company pays for private use of fuel. 

Additionally, there is a requirement to notify HMRC if you replace a company car. This can be done using: HMRC’s PAYE Online service for employers, your payroll software or your end-of-year forms.

Source:HM Revenue & Customs| 21-01-2024